What do a protestor at Standing Rock, a fitness guru in his 90s, Washington state’s first Long-Term Care Ombudsman, and a master Wii bowler all have in common? All describe older people who have received an Inspire Positive Aging award in past years.
The Inspire Positive Aging Awards program, sponsored by Sound Generations, is now in its 14th year. The program celebrates older adults in King County who inspire those around them to age well and live their best lives. The nomination period for the 2019 Inspire Positive Aging awards is now open. People of all ages are invited to submit an application for someone age 60 or older who inspires them.
This year, Sound Generations will recognize recipients in six categories:
- Advocacy + Activism: Recognize someone committed to advancing his or her community through positive change.
- Community Service: Express your gratitude for someone who contributes time and energy to helping others.
- Health + Wellness: Celebrate someone who promotes healthy living and inspires you to do the same.
- Intergenerational Impact: Acknowledge the contributions of someone who works to improve the lives of people of all ages.
- Lifelong Learning: Show your appreciation for someone who inspires you to broaden your horizons.
- Defining Inspiration: Recognize a single person whose attributes have touched and inspired you in a unique way.
Anybody age 60 or older who lives in King County can be nominated, anyone can nominate, and anyone can nominate more than one deserving older adult. All nominees will be celebrated at the Inspire Positive Aging Awards luncheon on Wednesday, June 26, 2019 at The Bellevue Hilton—a festive event that brings together hundreds of people from diverse communities throughout King County. Watch video highlights from the 2018 awards luncheon and read about last year’s award winners here.
Award recipients receive prizes that include a $200 Visa gift card. Each individual who nominates one of the award recipients receives a $50 gift card.
The Inspire Positive Aging nomination form is available at inspire-award.org. Forms must be postmarked on or before April 30, 2019. Requests for hard copies of the form or questions regarding the awards may be directed to IPAA@soundgenerations.org.
Sound Generations, formerly known as Senior Services, is a nonprofit agency that serves older adults and their loved ones throughout King County. Established in 1967, Sound Generations supports over 64,000 people on their aging journey through community connections and accessible services. Learn more at www.soundgenerations.org.