With today’s technology, you may never have to go to an office or even make a phone call to do your business with Social Security. Current workers and people who receive benefits can join the millions who already interact with the agency by computer or tablet by opening a free my Social Security account. It’s easy, safe, and, most of all, secure. You’ll only need a few minutes at www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount to sign up.
If you already receive Social Security benefits, with a my Social Security account you can manage your benefits online:
- Change your address and phone number.
- Change direct deposit of your benefits payment.
- Get a replacement SSA–1099 or SSA–1042S for tax season.
- If you’re signed up for Medicare, order a Medicare replacement card if your old one is lost or damaged.
- Get a benefit verification letter which you can print out anytime.
To open your free my Social Security account, you must be at least age 18 and have a:
- Valid email address;
- Social Security number; and
- U.S. mailing address.
It only takes a few minutes to sign up, and it’s easy to do. There’s an informative video and frequently asked questions on our website to help you.
However, If you can’t or don’t want to use your online account, you can call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Customer service representatives can assist you or direct you to the closest office.
So, go to www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount and open a secure my Social Security account today. Then you can join the millions who can plan, invest, and save for a secure retirement with confidence.
Contributor Kirk Larson is a Social Security public affairs specialist in Washington state.